UC San Diego SearchMenu


Research Experience and Applied Learning (REAL) Portal

The Research Experience and Applied Learning (REAL) Portal is a resource to connect students in all disciplines that are interested in research with faculty members and external partners looking to find undergraduate researchers. Research-oriented opportunities in the form of part-time jobs, internships, volunteer positions, or course credits (e.g., independent study) will be posted directly on the REAL Portal.  Students also have the opportunity to create a profile and post their resume on the REAL Portal which faculty members will use to search for and identify ideal candidates for their projects.

Quick Links

To earn International Studies major credit, students must earn academic credit in the form of a 199 Special Studies course.

Special Studies 199 Application for Enrollment

  • Note: At this time International Studies does not have its own INTL 199.  Students will need to enroll through the home department of the professor that they are working with.  Directions to complete the application for enrollment are detailed on the 199 application for enrollment form.

To receive major credit for a 199:

  • Students are required to complete a minimum 4,500 word research paper focusing on an approved topic.
  • Research topic must be pre-approved – this initial review does not guarantee course credit.  The topic of research must have at least 50% international content. 
  • Disciplinary Focus course credit: To apply toward this requirement, the research paper must match the field of study of the Disciplinary Focus and have at least 50% international content.
  • Interdisciplinary Elective course credit:  To apply toward this requirement, the research paper must have at least 50% international content but can be from any field of study.
  • After completion of the 199, a formal undergraduate student petition must be submitted along with the final research paper.  The petition and paper will be evaluated by the ISP Director.

The following guidelines must be met in order for the International Studies Program to consider granting course credit:

  • Student must receive academic credit of at least 4 UC upper-division quarter units.
  • Student must write a substantial research paper of at least 4,500 words of written work, 1 inch margins, 12 point font (bibliography and charts/graphs NOT included in page count).
  • Student must have a faculty advisor.
  • Student must read scholarly materials and incorporate them into the research paper.

Research Resources

Study Abroad
Career Services


Office Location:
Robinson Building Complex, Building 3
Phone: (858) 822-5299
Email: isp@ucsd.edu

Current Students:
Virtual Advising Center


Social Media