Secondary Track: Communication
Communication secondary track requirements for the International Studies major for students entering UCSD prior to Fall 2013.
- The following requirements are for freshman and transfer students that entered UCSD prior to Fall 2013.
- For freshman and transfer students that entered UCSD after to Fall 2013, please find the current major requirements here.
Note: A secondary track is NOT required for students entering UCSD Fall 2013 and later.
- To fulfill a secondary track, students must select five (5) 4-unit, upper-division, non-language courses selected from the approved list.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade of C- or better.
- A secondary track CANNOT be the same as the primary track.
All lower-division Communication Track pre-requisite courses must be taken for a letter grade of C- or better.
- COMM 10. Introduction to Communication
Note: This lower-division course is only required for those with a Communication Secondary Track.
All five (5) courses must be 4 units, upper-division and taken for a letter grade of C- or better. Select five (5) courses from the approved list:
- COMM 100C. Social Formations
- COMM 104D. Comparative Media Systems: Asia
- COMM 104E. Comparative Media Systems: Europe
- COMM 104F. Comparative Media Systems: Africa
- COMM 104G. Comparative Media Systems: Latin America and the Caribbean
- COMM 104M. Comparative Media Systems: Middle East
- COMM 106G. Cultural Industries: Tourism: Global Industry and Cultural Form
- COMM 110I. LLC: Social Organization and the Individual
- COMM 111G. Communication and Cultural Production: Popular Culture
- COMM 111W. Communication and Cultural Production: Politics of World Music
- COMM 112G. Interaction and Mediation: Language and Globalization
- COMM 114E. CSI: Gender, Labor, and Culture in the Global Economy
- COMM 128. Education and Global Citizenship
- COMM 131. Communication, Dissent, and the Formation of Social Movements
- COMM 138. Black Women, Feminism, and Media
- COMM 140. Cinema in Latin America
- COMM 141. African Cinema
- COMM 142. Cuban Cinema
- COMM 152. Global Economy and Consumer Culture
- COMM 156. Colonialism and Communication
- COMM 160. Political Economy and International Communication
- COMM 168. Bilingual Communication
Note: Students are responsible for meeting the course pre-requisites. For additional pre-requisite information, please see the UCSD Catalog Communication Course Information.
International Studies Academic Advising Resources
- International Studies Programs
- Administrative Resources