Secondary Track: Linguistics
- The following requirements are for freshman and transfer students that entered UCSD prior to Fall 2013.
- For freshman and transfer students that entered UCSD after to Fall 2013, please find the current major requirements here.
- A secondary track is NOT required for students entering UCSD Fall 2013 and later.
- To fulfill a secondary track, students must select five (5) 4-unit, upper-division, non-language courses selected from the approved list.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade of C- or better.
- A secondary track CANNOT be the same as the primary track.
All five (5) courses must be 4 units, upper-division and taken for a letter grade of C- or better.
All students are required to complete the following course:
- LIGN 101. Introduction to the Study of Language
At least two (2) of the five (5) upper-division courses must be selected from the following:
- LIGN 105. Law and Language
- LIGN 108. Languages of Africa
- LIGN 141. Language Structures
- LIGN 143. Structure of Spanish
- LIGN 150. Historical Linguistics
- LIGN 155. Evolution of Language
- LIGN 174. Gender and Language in Society
- LIGN 175. Sociolinguistics
- LIGN 176. Language of Politics and Advertising
- LIGN 177. Multilingualism
The remaining two (2) upper-division courses may be selected from the following:
- LIGN 100 – 199.
- Note: A maximum of one (1) LIGN 199. Independent Study in Linguistics course may be applied toward the major via petition.
International Studies Academic Advising Resources
- International Studies Programs
- Administrative Resources