UCSD offers several ways for students to study abroad: Education Abroad Program (EAP), Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), and the Global Seminars. Students may study abroad while earning academic credit.
The following guidelines must be met in order for the International Studies Program to consider granting course credit:
- Courses must be pre-approved by an ISP Advisor - this initial review does not guarantee course credit.
- Students should submit a VAC message to the International Studies advisors to obtain pre-approval for abroad courses.
- Please include the course title and description of course content.
- Courses must be UC transferable
- Courses must be upper-division
- Courses must be taken for a letter grade of C- or better
- Courses must transfer as at least 4 units
- Courses petitioned for the language requirement must be petitioned to the linguistics department.
- Language courses are not allowed to be petitioned for disciplinary, interdisciplinary and regional required courses. Same goes for minors, language courses are not allowed to be petitioned for track 1 or track 2.
To receive course credit:
|Major Disciplinary Focus
To apply toward this requirement, courses must match the field of study of the Disciplinary Focus and have at least 50% international content.
|Major Interdisciplinary Elective
To apply toward this requirement, courses must have at least 50% international content but can be from any field of study.
To apply toward the minor, courses must have at least 50% international content and match the field of study in Track 1 or Track 2.
Major: Students may petition a maximum of four (4) courses to count toward the major.
Minor: Students may petition a maximum of three (3) courses to count toward the minor.
After completion of the study abroad courses:
- A formal undergraduate student petition along with supporting materials of course syllabus, course work, class notes, and assignments.
- Petitions will then be evaluated by the ISP Director.
- IS majors entering UCSD Fall 2013 and later may petition a maximum of 4 courses to count toward the major.
- IS majors entering UCSD prior to Summer 2013 and following the old major requirements may petition a maximum of 6 courses to count toward the major.
- IS minors may petition a maximum of 3 courses to count toward the minor.
- The Study Abroad office offers scholarship opportunities to students planning on going abroad; please see their website for more information
- Go Abroad also has an informative webpage with scholarship opportunities