UC San Diego SearchMenu

Class Registration - FAQ

How do I wait-list a class?

During pre-registration, go on WebReg to wait-list.

  • WebReg wait lists will be used by ALL departments from pre-registration through the add deadline.
  • The wait list sequence is first-come, first-served, so be sure to enroll during your appointment time!
  • An automated computer program will move eligible students off the Web Reg wait lists and into classes as seats become available.
  • The program will send messages to student’s @ucsd email account about the outcome of add attempts.
  • If on wait-list and prerequisite is not met, you will be dropped from the wait-list.
  • If you have a registration hold, you will be by-passed on the wait-list, but not dropped.
  • You will be able to see how many students are on the wait-list before adding yourself to the list, and you will be able to see the waitlist numbers move in real-time.

Important details for wait-listing.

How to wait-list a class

If you wish to enroll in a class that is full, you can put yourself on a wait list.

  • Classes can be wait-listed until the end of the second full week of classes. See deadlines for the academic year.
  • Students may not add and wait-list more than 19.5 units total during pre-registration and 22 units once classes begin.
  • If a student does not meet class requirements when the attempt is made to move them from the wait-list into the class, the student will not be added to the class.

What to do if the class or section you want is full

  • WebReg will offer you the option of enrolling in another open section of that class, or wait-listing the section.
  • You can only wait-list for one section of a course.
  • You cannot be simultaneously enrolled and wait-listed in different sections of a course.
  • Use WegReg if you are pre-authorized to enroll in a full class; however, you must drop yourself from the wait-list.

Note: Classes you have wait-listed will display in WebReg.

What if you change your mind and want to add or wait-list a different section of a class for which you are already enrolled?

  • Check the Schedule of Classes to make sure there are seats available.
  • Drop the section in which you are already enrolled or wait-listed.
  • After completing the drop, add or wait-list a different section.

Note: If you want to know your place on the wait-list, check your Class List.

What if you want to find out if you were placed into a section from the wait-list?

  • If you are enrolled in a wait-listed class, it will be included on your Class List and you will be notified by e-mail.
  • If the class appears on your Class List, go to WebReg and select your grading option.

Note: If you have any questions let us know via the Virtual Advising Center.

How often do wait-listed students get enrolled into the desired class?

It depends on the class and the department. It can vary depending on the number of students in the class, number of TAs available, how many students will drop, and whether the professor is willing to allow in more students. Students should contact the professor or department to find out more information about a specific class.

How do I add/drop classes after the enrollment period?

Go to WebReg in TritonLink. For more information, go to TritonLink and search "how to add or drop a course" for the necessary steps.

I have a personal emergency and need to drop all of my classes this quarter, but WebReg would not let me. I plan on returning next quarter, what do I do?

You must go to your College Academic Advising office, fill out a withdrawal form, and meet with an academic counselor to drop the classes. If done before week 4, the classes will be dropped and no record of the class will appear on the transcript. However, if the classes are dropped between weeks 5 and 9, you will receive a "W" for each of the classes. As long as you return the following quarter, you will not need to fill out an application for readmission.

I am not doing well this quarter and I want to drop a course, how do W's reflect on my record especially if I am considering graduate or professional school?

Most graduate/professional schools will accept a few W's on a student's record but it becomes a problem when you can see a pattern of W's on the transcript. For example, a student signs up for 16 units each quarter and then consistently drops down to 12 units resulting in multiple W's most of his/her quarters at UCSD.
Study Abroad
Career Services


Office Location:
Gildred Latin American Studies Building, #20
Phone: (858) 822-5299
Email: isp@ucsd.edu

Current Students:
Virtual Advising Center